At Soul Dental, we seek to provide outstanding dental care in NYC. Root canals are one of the more common procedures we offer. Dr. Scott Park, Dr. Patrick Burke, Dr. Tiffany Wang, and Dr. Andrew Inagaki are our highly-qualified and experienced endodontists who provide skilled, world-class care. They specialize in root canal treatments, restoring our patients’ dental health, and relieving pain caused by damaged or infected teeth.
Compassionate and comprehensive care is our main focus at Soul Dental. Our team will work with you to understand your needs and determine the best treatment. We seek to build relationships with our patients and aim to prioritize your comfort before, during, and after your procedure.
What Are Root Canals?
A root canal is a treatment used to alleviate pain or treat infection caused by inflamed or infected nerves. The pulp or tissue within the infected tooth is removed during a root canal. The tooth is then cleaned, disinfected, filled, and sealed to prevent further infection, saving the tooth.
Signs You Might Need a Root Canal
While teeth in need of root canal treatment are often asymptomatic and identified through a dental exam, infected teeth can lead to extreme pain and eventually serious complications. Tooth infections can be caused by trauma, decay, or damage. The follow occurrences may indicate you need a root canal:
- Tooth pain when chewing or applying any other pressure
- Sensitivity or pain from extreme temperatures even after the source is removed
- Persistent or recurring pimples on gums
- Swollen or tender gums
- A darkened or discolored tooth
- Your dentist has identified the need for one by looking at your dental imaging
Soul Dental offers complete root canal treatment with the goal of saving your natural tooth, alleviating your pain, and restoring your oral health.
Root Canal vs. Tooth Extraction: Choosing the Right Treatment Option
If you’re experiencing tooth pain, you may be considering having the tooth extracted. However, root canal treatment offers several significant advantages over tooth extraction. By choosing a root canal, you can:
- Preserve your natural tooth: Root canal treatment allows you to retain your natural tooth and avoid an extraction or complications caused by missing teeth.
- Maintain dental functionality: Restoring a tooth with a root canal ensures optimal oral function and allows you to chew and speak normally.
- Prevent bone loss: Having your tooth extracted will eventually lead to bone loss in the jaw, which leads to more tooth loss. Instead, a root canal removes the infected tissue from the tooth’s interior and replaces it with an infection-resistant material, allowing you to keep your natural tooth and maintain the jaw stimulation that prevents bone loss.
- Avoid dental implements: Repairing an infected tooth with a root canal can prevent it from needing to be completely replaced with a dental implant later.
- Preserve your smile and facial appearance: Extracting a tooth can lead to changes in your facial structure and the appearance of your smile. Root canal treatment helps maintain the natural look of your smile.
- Cost-effective solution: While the initial cost of a root canal procedure is higher than tooth extraction, it avoids the need for dental implants, bridges, or other tooth replacement options. This will save you a great deal of money in the long run.
While root canals are usually preferable to extraction for all of the above reasons, tooth extraction may be needed if the tooth is damaged beyond repair or poses a risk to your health. Our skilled endodontists will evaluate your condition and provide you with a personalized treatment plan which meets your individual needs.
What to Expect During the Root Canal Procedure
At our practice, we understand that you may have questions about how a root canal procedure works. Our endodontists are here to guide you through the root canal process with exceptional care and skill. Here is what you can expect during a root canal treatment:
- Anesthesia: Before starting the root canal procedure, our endodontists administer local anesthesia. This numbs the tooth and surrounding area, ensuring that you do not experience any pain during the procedure.
- Rubber dam: To safeguard the tooth and your safety during the procedure, your endodontist will place a rubber dam. This step ensures a clean and controlled environment for the root canal treatment.
- Pulp removal: Next, your endodontist will carefully create a small opening in the tooth through which they will remove the infected pulp. This approach allows for the preservation of the surrounding healthy tooth structure.
- Disinfection: The root canal will then be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, removing any other bacteria and preventing reinfection.
- Dental filling: Our dentist will restore the tooth’s structure by filling the canal with a biocompatible material, such as gutta-percha. This filling material is placed in a way that seals the canal, preventing any bacteria from re-entering and causing further infection.
- Crown or other restoration: The final step in your root canal procedure is the restoration to replace or restore the top portion of the tooth. In most cases, this will be a dental crown, which will provide protection and restore the tooth’s natural appearance and functionality. Your crown will be customized to match the color and shape of your surrounding teeth, ensuring a seamless smile.
Throughout the entire root canal procedure, our dental team will prioritize your comfort, explaining each step and addressing any concerns you may have. Our goal is to ensure a positive and stress-free experience, empowering you to maintain your oral health with confidence.
How Long Does a Root Canal Procedure Take?
Generally, a root canal can be completed in one or two appointments, and each appointment is usually 60 to 90 minutes in length. However, the length of time a root canal takes can vary according to a number of factors, including:
- Location of the tooth in your mouth
- Complexity of its location (whether there’s crowding, etc.)
- Extent of infection or damage
- Whether additional treatments are needed
Our endodontists will provide you with a clear timeline based on your unique situation and a personalized treatment plan during your consultation.
How Painful is a Root Canal Procedure?
While root canal treatments have a reputation for being painful, advancements in dental technology and local anesthesia techniques have completely changed this. Most patients report no pain during the procedure. Post-procedure discomfort is often less than what patients were experiencing prior to treatment and can be easily managed with over-the-counter pain medications. At Soul Dental, our team is dedicated to prioritizing your comfort and ensuring a positive experience.
Post-Root Canal Care
Be sure to follow our post-care instructions after your root canal. Doing so is essential for the healing process. We’ll send you home with detailed instructions, but here are the basics:
- Experiencing some sensitivity caused by tissue inflammation is completely normal, particularly if there was pain before the treatment. Use over-the-counter pain relievers as directed by your dentist to manage any discomfort during the healing process.
- Avoid chewing on the treated tooth until the root canal procedure is fully completed and a permanent filling or crown is placed. This precaution helps prevent recontamination and minimizes the risk of a fragile tooth breaking before it can be fully restored.
- Maintain good oral hygiene, including regular brushing and flossing, to prevent future dental issues.
- Schedule regular visits to our dental practice for checkups and cleanings to ensure the long-term success of your root canal treatment.
Following these guidelines will help ensure a successful and comfortable recovery after your root canal procedure. If you have any further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team at Soul Dental.
Why Choose Soul Dental for Your Root Canal in NYC?
We believe in being ourselves and building genuine connections. At Soul Dental, you’re more than just our next patient. When choosing us for your root canal treatment in NYC, you can expect:
- Experienced dentists: Our skilled endodontists are extremely proficient in performing root canal procedures and will provide the highest standard of care.
- Personalized approach: We deliver individual attention and care by tailoring your treatment plan to suit your unique situation.
- Commitment to patient comfort: We have a range of sedation and anesthesia options available and will work with you to determine which is best for your circumstances.
- State-of-the-art office: Our modern dental offices feature the latest technology and amenities, ensuring your comfort throughout your root canal.
- Compassionate staff: Our friendly staff will accompany you throughout the entire process and respond to any concerns or questions you may have.
- Exceptional results: We strive for excellence in every treatment we provide, aiming to restore your dental health and alleviate tooth pain effectively.
If you need a root canal in NYC, schedule a consultation with us to access a compassionate, comprehensive root canal treatment at Soul Dental. Let us relieve your pain, restore your health, and bring back your best smile.